Ready to add power and speed to your performance? Here is a two-part speed and power workout that will do just that.
Recently I reached out to strength coach and personal trainer Julian Sisman, CSCS, CPT, for his favorite workout routine.
The two-part workout he sent over below is split between speed and strength sections, and is designed for the beginner/intermediate athlete looking to unleash some serious speed and power.
The workout is split into two, with the speed stuff kicking things off.
“I like to do the speed work before the strength training because the stress on the CNS is high,” says Julian, who does individual and team coaching through his strength training outfit Prepare for Performance.
“Since the focus of the speed work is straight ahead speed the strength exercises are chosen to closely correlate this movement and intensity.”
Here is Julian’s workout.
Mobilization and Dynamic Warm-Up:
- Foam roll quads and glutes.
- HK groin on foam roller, split stretch on roller.
- Channel changer, bird dog, lunge holds.
- Reverse lunges to stand, knee hug, quad strech, skip, power skip
- Pogos, pops, chops, lateral hops, scissors
PART 1: Speed
- 3 x 5-8 Scissor jumps. Controlled step up w/forward lean; rhythmic DC; power; loaded
- 3 x 8 CObras
1B. Multi-Movement Skills
- Easy: 22s
- Regressed: 44s
- Medium: Hops
- Hard: SL hops
- Elite: SL power hop
Key Points: balls of your feet, be quick, and cover ground off the ladder on power hop.
- Bound: 2x20yd
- 3-step: 2×20
- Sprint Bounds: 2 rounds easy
- Timed: 2 rounds
- Switch to harness
Key Points: timed is 5 steps in 10yds; switch to harness for all if good enough.
Sled Relay or Memory Relay:
- 3-6 rounds.
Key Points: sled relay should be no weight; memory relay give cones number and call out sprints down and back to a random order
PART 2: Strength
- Reverse Lunges: 3-4 x 6-8 reps
- TRX Row: 3-4 x 10-12 reps
- Deadbug (legs only): 3-4 x 10 reps each side
- Kettlebell Deadlift: 3-4 x 6-8 reps [Use dowl rod for a prep set of 1×10]
- Push ups: 3-4 x 12 [Regress to bench if needed]
- 1/2 Kneel anti-rotation with band: 3-4 :20 seconds each side
- Band Pull Aparts: 2-3 x 15
- Supine Leg Raises: 2-3
- Side Plank: 2-3 x :20 seconds each side
You can connect with Julian online at Prepare for Performance, where he provides sport-specific training, online coaching, as well as personal and team training services. You can also connect with him on the ‘gram.